Penguin Random House LLC Publicist/Senior Publicist - Penguin Young Readers in New York, New York
Company: Penguin Random House LLC
Requisition ID: 23285
Penguin Young Readers, a division of Penguin Random House, seeks a dynamic book Publicist/Senior Publicist to join its Publicity team. This is a fantastic opportunity to work with distinguished authors and brands. Penguin Young Readers is one of the leading children's book publishers in the United States and home to award-winning, critically-acclaimed and bestselling authors and illustrators such as Eric Carle, Chelsea Clinton, Roald Dahl, Sarah Dessen, Adam Gidwitz, John Green, Oliver Jeffers, Ruta Sepetys, Sabaa Tahir and Jacqueline Woodson. The person in this role will be responsible for pitching and securing media across a variety of trade and consumer outlets, as well as organizing author and illustrator events, including setting up national tours, festival, school and store appearances. Knowledge of the media landscape, as well as growing relationships with book reviewers, magazine editors and bloggers are essential to this role. We are looking for a creative and independent thinker who is passionate about books and spreading the joy of reading. Our ideal candidate will have excellent written and verbal communication skills, be able to work independently as well as collaboratively, have close attention to detail, and at least 3-4 years of children's book publicity experience.
The person in this position will interact internally with Penguin's Marketing, Sales and Editorial teams, and externally with authors, illustrators, booksellers and members of the press.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Planning and executing publicity campaigns that will maximize exposure for authors and their books.
• Pitching national and local reviewers and producers, booking media tours, and scheduling author events.
• Developing and maintaining solid relationships with authors and the media.
• Writing pitch letters and press releases.
• Compiling media news clips and press coverage for books.
• Attending and presenting at weekly sales, marketing, and publicity meetings.
• Working with senior members of the Publicity Department on major publicity campaigns.
Please apply if you meet the following qualifications:
• At least 3-4 years of experience in public relations, book publishing experience preferred
• Exceptional writing and pitching skills
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Proven ability to meet deadlines, multitask, and prioritize
• Ability to manage and follow-through on multiple projects and work independently
• Strong organizational skills
• The ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively while also maintaining accuracy and attention to detail are essential.
• Ability to travel up to 5% of the year by train and/or car required
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Excel
• Understanding of social media as a marketing tool
Please apply using our online application process, and please include your résumé and cover letter. Full-time employees are eligible for our comprehensive benefits program.
Penguin Random House is the leading adult and children's publishing house in North America, the United Kingdom and many other regions around the world.
In publishing the best books in every genre and subject for all ages, we are committed to quality, excellence in execution, and innovation throughout the entire publishing process: editorial, design, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and distribution.
Our vibrant and diverse international community of nearly 250 publishing brands and imprints include Ballantine Bantam Dell, Berkley, Clarkson Potter, Crown, DK, Doubleday, Dutton, Grosset & Dunlap, Little Golden Books, Knopf, Modern Library, Pantheon, Penguin Books, Penguin Press, Penguin Random House Audio, Penguin Young Readers, Portfolio, Puffin, Putnam, Random House, Random House Children's Books, Riverhead, Ten Speed Press, Viking, and Vintage, among others.
More information can be found at http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/. Penguin Random House values the array of talents and perspectives that a diverse workforce brings. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, religion, age, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status.